Thursday, March 30, 2006

Chapter 5 - Hot and cold

Gosh, it sure is hot.

A dripping sound echoed in Bob's ears. What is that dripping? Did I leave on the faucet? Did I leave on something that would make a dripping sound that echoes in my ears like this? Are my ears just echoing?

Man, it is real hot.

Maybe I ought to get out of this jacket. What am I doing wearing this fur coat? I don't even remember putting it on? Maybe it is making a dripping sound. Maybe I am wearing a dripping fur coat. Maybe not - that is kind of strange, isn't it?

Hot. Yes, it sure is hot. So hot that it is dripping. It is dripping hot. Yeah, that is what it is.

Bob's eyes shot open. He sat up and looked around. No penguins, no pictures of penguins, no bright lights. Actually, it was really dark. He could not see a thing around him. He took his hand and moved it toward his face. Ouch!!! Something just hit me in the nose! Wait, that was my hand. It sure is dark...and hot.

Feeling the floor around him to make sure it was steady, he stood up. Thump! Ow!! My head! What is this? Rock? Ow, it sure is hard...and it is hot. I had better take this jacket off of me. This dripping fur coat. No, it isn't dripping, something else is.

Bob took his coat of, crouching, making sure that he didn't hit his head again. He then slid forward towards what felt like a cooler breeze. He moved for a few minutes and it seemed as if he moved into a larger room. There was a hint of light in the room, but he could not tell where it came from. Bob reached above his head and stood up slowly. No, no rocks. It still is pretty hot in here too, maybe a little less. But that dripping has gotten louder.

Bob took a step forward and lunged as his foot failed to touch any floor. Suddenly he was cold and very wet. He was in water thrashing to keep himself up. Man! This is wet water - not so hot, actually it is cold. Man, I wish I had a jacket.

He swam forward, not able to tell where he was headed. He thought he was headed toward where he fell off the edge into the water, but no, he was swimming too far for that. It seemed like he swam for at least a few minutes when he suddenly hit a wall with his hand. He grabbed the edge and pulled himself up to the floor. As he stood up, he noticed a very dim light coming from straight ahead of him. OK, now I am really cold - and dripping. His shoes sloshed as he walked forward carefully. He slowly made his way to a wall, and then to a door. He reached around for a latch - there it was. He twisted it and his eyes were blasted with light. A cold wind hit his face and he blinked. As things came into focus he knew where he was.

There were people behind a fence looking in. There was snow and ice, and a pool of water. There were penguins gathered around in a circle. One of them looked at him with an icy glance. Bob felt a chill. He was in the zoo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home