Monday, March 20, 2006

Chapter 4 - A Dapper Fowl

The sound of slapping feet echoed through the room. The bird on the wall glared ever harder deep into Bob's psyche. He looked away and saw the visitor in the room - same expression, same piercing look. Chills came in waves that started at his crown and ended up at his toes. The footsteps came closer, closer.

Then the door opened again and a very tall man walked into the room. He wore a Stetson hat and had a button on his well-pressed suit that read "kiss me, I'm Irish." Bob did not feel in the kissing mood, nor did it appear that the stranger was in that mood.

"Eeeeka - oonka! Rrrraaaaaaaaaa! Aaarrrrrhaaaarrrh! Chhht, chht, chht, crrrraaaawww!" Said the bird as he glared at Bob.

The man cleared his throat and said, "The boss says he is not happy with things. He says that you have been nosing around in places you should not be sticking your schnozz."

"Bbbrrrrraaaaawwww! Caaaaarkkkkh, aruuuun, caaaarkkkkh blaaaaaaawwwwwwrrrrrr!"

"He says you don't look that smart, but you are starting to be dangerous. He thinks it may be time you .... made....some....copies....."

"Blaaawwwrrrr"

"Oh, yeah, sorry! He says he thinks it may be time you took a little...vacation, if you catch my drift."

"Braakkkkkkikkkikkkikkk, waaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkiiiiiiii!"

"Um, I think he wants a Taco. Is that right, boss?"

"Awwwkkkkk"

"OK, I can do that. There's a Taco Bell Across the street. I'll be right back Boss!" The man made his way quickly out the door, wringing his hands as he scurried down the hall.

"Braaaaaaaaawwwwwwk."

"Yeah, boss - a fish taco if they have them - I know! I'll see what I can do." He said as his voice faded down the hall.

Bob noticed that the bird now stood right in front of him. He came closer and stared. Bob tried to look away, but its eyes had a hypnotic quality to them. It started cackling, as if it was laughing, "Crah crah crah crah craaaaawwwh!"

"What do you want from me?" Bob shouted, as the cackling grew more intense. It seemed to echo in his head, pushing out all thoughts, all memories, all other things besides that terrible sound. "Please, tell me what I have to do. I'll do anything....anything....anything."

Suddenly the room was filled with the strong smell of fish. Bob felt a sharp, stabbing pain in his head. He slumped forward as a very large sturgeon fell again on the back of his skull. "I've been hit by a big fish" he thought as his thoughts lapsed out of consciousness. Then everything was dark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home